Here is an excellent make-at-home treat that is a cinch to whip up and handy to have in the fridge for afternoon tea. It’s fairly high in sugar – thanks to the dates, honey and fruit – which is why you make little balls and eat just one or two at a time! The dried fruit and coconut will boost your fibre intake and the tahini provides a good plant source of calcium.
What do I need?
- 1 cup pitted dates, puréed
- 3/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1/3 cup dried fruit, roughly chopped e.g. sultanas, figs, apricots, etc
- PLUS extra coconut or cacao (or both) for rolling balls in.
- Combine all the wet ingredients – date, tahini and honey – to form a paste (it might be lumpy from the dates, which is perfectly fine).
- Sift in spices, then fold through coconut and dried fruit – combine well.
- Pinch out small lumps of the mixture and roll into bite-sized balls, then roll these in desiccated coconut and/or cacao powder (enough to coat).