This time of year can be summed up by the following (slightly ridiculous) equation….
- Cold air + windy days + low humidity = flake factor.
While the cosmetic aspect of dry skin can be annoying and embarrassing, it can also be painful. The proliferative effect of continually dry skin often results in inflammation and urticaria (itchiness).
There are a number of ways you can combat this through diet and lifestyle – and rather than writing them all down myself, I will direct you to this article by Sarah George, which outlines it all very nicely.
The upshot is:
- Stay hydrated.. after all water is moisture… your skin will soak it up!
- Eat well – especially good quality proteins and essential fatty acids.
- Exfoliate – this will help the dead dry skin cells to slough off.
- Moisturise – a good quality intensive moisturiser will help to nourish the skin from outside in. My current favourite is Antipodes’ Jubilation Body Cream – this delicious concoction is certified organic, made in New Zealand and richly nourishing for the skin. You can find it in our dispensary or the fancy lady section of David Jones.